Ever seen a male Peacock “strut his stuff”? They fan their beautiful tail feathers out for the sole purpose of impressing their female counterparts. This week as we take another look at the words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount we’ll be reminded that living to impress other people cheats us out of rewards in heaven. This week’s “Big Idea” is pretty simple. Focus on pleasing God and NOT other people. (Live for an audience of One.)
6:1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.”
Confused about fasting? Check out this sermon from our Time Management Series from Mark called Hit Pause!
See also this article from John Piper's Blog Desiring God. Fasting For Beginners!
Devo Reading Guide:
More from this series
- Matthew 7:24-29 Build Your Life on Jesus
- Matthew 7:7-11 Persistently Pursue God
- Matthew 7:1-6; 12 Standards For Loving
- Matthew 6:24-35 Trust Trumps Worry
- Matthew 6:19-24 Don't Waste your Life
- Matthew 6:7-15 - Prayer
- Matthew 5:38-48 Outrageous Love
- Matthew 5:27-37 Pursue Purity
- Matthew 5:21-26 Anger = Murder
- Matthew 5:17-20 The Law of Christ?
- Matthew 5:1-16 Attitudes that Influence
- 1 Peter 1:13-16 Holier Than Thou!